Born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1937, Richard Lazzaro studied at the Cleveland Institute of Art (1955-59), Kent Stat University (BFA, 1961), the University of Illinois (MFA, 1963). He taught at the University of Illinois from 1961-63, and is an Emeritus Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he taught drawing and painting from 1961-2001. He has lived and worked in Mexico, New York City, France, Italy, and Spain and owned the Lazzaro Signature Gallery of Fine Arts from 1985 to 2008.
Lazzaro was a multi award winner in Cleveland Museum of Art May Show exhibition. His work is in the museum collection, the Cleveland Print Club, the Cleveland Art Association, and included in the collections at the Seattle Museum of Art, Dayton Art Institute, Milwaukee Art Museum, Haggerty Museum of Art, Oklahoma Art Museum, Bergstrom Mahler Museum, American Federation of Art in New York, Butler Institute of American Art, Oshkosh Art Museum, Chazen Museum of Art, Kohler Art Center, University of Illinois, Kent State University, B.K. Smith Art Center at Lake Erie College, Cleveland Institute of Art, University of Wisconsin Clinical Science Center, WARF Institute, Covance Labratory. His work is in more than 400 public and private collections in the U.S. and abroad.
This series of acrylic on stone is Lazzaro’s latest. A departure from his usually large murals, this collection of works on stone incorporates three dimensional space and the natural lines created by millennia of movement in the earth.